Sunday, January 16, 2011

GRANDMA BELL

9/17/1914-1/16/2008


About 10 years ago...
while driving down the road....
I heard the Lord's voice in a whisper say...
"You will be writing your Grandma's eulogy. 
Now Grandma Bell was still filled with life....
and me...
being of a rebellious nature with a touch of stage fright,
I immediately dismissed the conversation and went on my merry way of pursuing 'my' own will.



8 years later, 
while hanging artwork for my very 1st art show, 
the news came that my sweet Grandma had passed.
Along with 11 children and too many grandchildren and great grandchildren to count, 
she truly made me feel special.
There is a 99.9% chance that Grandma Bell 
is the one responsible for praying me into the
 Kingdom of God.
Her sweet faith and simple words spoke volumes to a
 wayward natured child like me who was a little too curious about the world around.
When I learned of her passing,
the fingers met the keyboard and 15 minutes later,
 this came out:

Montrose Rose

Mud pies and Lily paths
Hot days and rainy baths
Imagination plays for days
Relaxing in a Sunday haze
Smells of dirt between my toes
Wandering through her fresh crop rows
Smiling lips and peace-filled eyes
She had no fear of her demise.
Hazel is the one that sees
Her maker's hand for her to be.


This summer my husband gave me a beautiful new bible to replace my old one that was literally falling apart.  I had grown so attached to its insides with all of the special notes and memories coinciding with special verses.  From Revelations to the Index, Armageddon had hit.  The pages were ever so uncleverly tucked into the back of the book.  My husband was right, we couldn't keep spreading the Gospel, literally, with trails of my Bible paths.  So, now it sits in a special place at home for only my eyes to see.  When Grandma passed,  I had to look back at one of the wonderful memories of writing her name next to one of those special passages.... Proverbs 31.  How neat it was to know someone that could give me a living vision of what this passage meant in today's terms.  If you have the chance to read or reread this Proverb, please do.

One of my favorite parts in this proverb is how she clothes her household in scarlet.  How true that is! Grandma Bell is one of our many reasons that we have been prayed into His Kingdom.  She bathed all 11 children in the blood of the lamb and I am so thankful for her example and dedication to our Savior.  I love how Grandma was one that didn't have to speak loudly of her maker.... she just emanated His glory.  There is a picture of her in her garden of lilies that reminds me of His glory in her.  Now,  I know she is truly basking in His presence.  

One of my favorite memories is how she would wander through her garden, set aside chosen lilies and give them a special name.  This memory has played a tremendous role  in understanding His love for us and the special tender loving care He gives to each of His children.  He has now called her by name to come into His garden filled with His presence.  She is now, one of his heavenly lilies.  She now knows who she is, where she is, and what her purpose is.  Spiritually speaking, I have found myself many times not knowing any of these answers.  

Out of curiosity, I looked up Grandma's name to see what it meant in the Hebrew language... God has such a sense of humor... the first definition was "a nut-bearing tree".   Well, I can vouch for that as a genuine "grandnut" aka "a Bell".  After digging deeper, not satisfied with the first meaning, I found HAZEL means "one who sees God."  What a wonderful summary of her long life that continues on. 

She is a great example to me and always will be.  I am happy to say Hazel Bell is my grandma and I look forward to seeing her in a Kingdom void of sadness, pain and death.  She is one of my earth heroes.  Just wanted to share with you a few thoughts of her and hope it helps bring joy to your heart during this time of fellowship.  Hope to see you at her funeral.

With His Love,
Kim 



After reading what was written in literally 'Godspeed',
 the words of the Lord spoke again... 
reminding me that this would be her eulogy.
Now, 
I knew that God must be mistaken 
because my vocal cords were stricken by a severe case of laryngitis..... 
I could barely get out the volume of a whisper to be heard.



In an effort of paying tribute to Grandma, I faxed it to my Uncle Earl, since he is so good at distributing the information to everyone.  Did not hear from anyone and hadn't really seen my extended family in quite some time.  My hubby and I made the long and cold snowy drive up to Arkansas to celebrate the life of my sweet Grandma Bell.  Unfortunately, we came in a little late to the service and sat down.  The church pews were filled with the Love of everyone she had touched in their lives.  Just as we sat down, my Uncle Charles who is a minister,
began the eulogy with these words...
MONTROSE ROSE...
and continued to read the rest of my tribute to Grandma Bell.


I am so thankful to God.... 
for being so faithful to speak through someone like me.... 
someone who lacks faith a lot of the time to do His will.... 
 I am thankful that He works in mysterious ways to get His messages across..... 
I am thankful that when things seem impossible,  
God makes it possible.



9/17/1914-1/16/2008
I am thankful for my Grandma Bell 
whose simple faith plowed through the soil of a hardened world
 just to plant a seed for someone like me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim,

What a great way to remember our wonderful grandmother. I feel so blessed to have so many memories of/with her. Thank you for sharing.

Love you,
Jennifer

Donnita said...

This brought me to tears. I feel so blessed to have someone to speak some of my feelings, with eloquence. Will share this with dad...never knew what a Momma's boy he was until recent years. Thanks for remembering this day.